[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 4, Issue 2

AJH list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 17:21:04 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:16:35 +0100, Rhisiart Gwilym wrote:

>Siwmae pawb (Hi all),

Ddiolch achos 'r ateb

One of the problems with receiving in digest mode is that the subject
line is lost if you hit "reply:", so if the person you are responding
too has filters set he may well not realise the reply is to one of his
posts, so the thread dies. With e-mail loads being high watching
subjects which are of direct interest tends to mean I miss some posts
where the subject or threading is changed.

>This is why I'm working on the idea of finding practical ways of
>producing your own terra preta on anything down to the smallest
>garden scale, with absolutely minimal financing needed.

Then consider drying your vegetable matter below 10% mc wet weight
basis and then  pyrolysing it in a TLUD type burner, this way you
won't be polluting much, even better if you utilise the heat.

>Rather than
>carbon credit trading, which I think people already see is likely to
>be a messy and probably corrupt process, I'm going on the assumption
>that people will be more directly motivated, and discipline
>themselves to do things right,

It looks like we have a bit of shared opinion there but I guess I'm
more sceptical than you.

>if immediate, urgently-needed
>subsistence food-getting is their goal. (Still the major concern of
>about eighty percent of people globally, let's never forget)

I agree but never having experienced basic poverty I cannot comment.
From historic record it looks like early Britons had managed to
concentrate suffeicent wealth to undertake big projects over and above
basic needs thousands of years ago, though likely not by democratic
choice, so it's a sad indictment that the poor are just as poor now as
then.

>As I develop it, I want to report here,

I'll stay reading as long as I feel I'm learning something.

>Cofion gorau (Best remembrances),   Rhisiart Gwilym

Cofion

AJH