[Terrapreta] Backyard Biochar

Douglas Clayton dnclayton at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 6 18:46:31 CDT 2007

Tom,

I see no one has responded yet so I'll throw in some second hand
reports.  From a conversation with Dr. Peter Fransham of Advanced
BioRefinery in Ottawa.  He told me that some char he produced from
chicken litter waste (this would be from a system he did for Renewable
Oil International) when scattered on a lawn, in one week,  produced
grass 1" taller and darker green than the adjacent untreated area .  He
thought there would have been some nitrogen still in the charcoal.

Seems like Dr. Fransham has been at this just about as long as anyone
and has some systems ready to go into production.  But like most I
think the awareness of the value of the charcoal is new.
http://www.advbiorefineryinc.ca/

I'm sure everyone has seen the photos at Eprida:
http://www.eprida.com/home/index.php4

I took the below pictures when I visited Danny Day at Eprida last
month.  The first shot is of the red Georgia clay before and after
charcoal had been tilled in two years prior.  The second shows some
"structure" as a result of the charcoal treatment.  The untreated had
become very hard (compacted).

1.