[Terrapreta] Backyard Biochar

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sat Apr 7 11:01:44 CDT 2007

Some interesting points to discuss, we are all interested in whatever
observations backyard gardening with charcoal will produce.

First of all Steiners research in Brazil used chicken manure as one
treatment in his sets of combinations with charcoal. It is a very
rich additive and in his research came out on top of the results for
a simple logical reason. Charred chicken manure (or dairy solids) is
of course somewhat different but is worthy of comparison in charcoal
in agriculture research because disposal of manure from these intense
industrial agriculture farms has serious environmental issues. When
it is spread on to the surrounding land these farms with a few
hundred acres and perhaps 2000 milking cows are having surface and
ground water pollution problems and phosphorus accumulation in the
soils to toxic levels.

When these factory farms are in the desert the manure/liquids can be
treated by evaporation and exported as dried manure. In places where
climate is wet this cannot be done and as an alternative to very
expensive anaerobic digesters a pyrolyser can make a product that can
be exported to other places where these nutrient rich additives have
a use elsewhere.

The point of using char or charcoal in soil is not that it is a
nutrient bearing additive but is if there is a synergism in the soil
that makes the available nutrients more effective and to last longer
in the soil. In Steiners research he followed the productivity of
field plots for years of multiple cropping in the moist tropics
without further addition of supplements. In the temperate zone this
kind of research also needs to be done. The paper is listed in the
files section is you have not already looked at his work.

I am planning to use either a charred chicken or dairy solids
product, (whichever John decides to supply to me), as comparison to
the charcoal treatment sets in my research this spring. It will be
important to compare it to other fertilizer treatments and to wood
charcoal and their combinations. After all charred manure is a new
product on the market and consumers need to understand if this is
about the same as air dried manure or if charred manure has some
other properties that make it superior.

Steiners study calculated the dose on the basis of carbon content
which gave the soil a very heavy dose of nutrient in the chicken
manure set. I am planning to set my study up on the basis of the
fertilizer treatment levels we normally use at the farm and to
compare this in combinations with quite heavy treatments with wood
charcoal, most likely 30% by volume for this first test.

A larger question here:

Is if you go to the trouble to compare your char to usual practices
how do you determine if you have had a positive effect??

The Georgia, Master Gardeners project posted in files section
mentioned a 9 % increase in yield of market tomatoes. Other studies I
have reviewed by Asian researchers also emphasized the physical
features of the plant. Such as leaf, plant size, crop yield, vigor,
and so forth. During our usual farming we find variation larger than
this 9 % above between planting blocks of the same species. Soil and
foliar nutrient levels are worthwhile data also.

The second even bigger question here:

Is whether this test plot will bring in a continued high yield with
subsequent cropping without added fertilizer compared to the parallel
plots also unfertilized and to plots with your normal fertility
additives. ??

Best
Rich Haard