[Terrapreta] Char in soil.

John G. Flottvik jovick at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 8 10:29:33 CDT 2007

Dear Tom, Rich & List.

As a maker of charcoal I can say that to come up with the charcoal best
suited for soil enhancement will take some time, money, effort and data
building. As has been discussed before, what kind of raw biomass goes in,
temp and residence time in the retorts all contribute to a host of different
carbons. We sent a bach to Kingsford a few years back while they were in
Saskatchewan which had to much carbon and not enough volatiles. To some this
could represent a problem, but in fact, as most in the char industry knows,
we can basically custom make charcoal best suited for different
applications.

My idea of charcoal in soil has been in the works for over two years, but
did not get feet until Rich Haard offered to help promote our new soil
enhancement product due to be on the market soon. I am also looking forward
to working with Rich in what ever capacity I can best help, be it making
charcoal from different materials to find the best suited char for the
different soils at hand or doing potting work with our new product to see
what works best.

Although I am not a scientist I am very excited about working in the
relatively new field of charcoal in soil and hope that my small contribution
will be of help.

Regards

John Flottvik