[Terrapreta] Charcoal, volatiles, creosote

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Apr 8 23:06:12 CDT 2007

Duane,

We heard last month that "wood vinegar" collected during carbonization is
sold in Japan for $6/liter to stimulate plant growth.

Wood Vinegar:

n : a red-brown liquid formed in distillation of wood which

         contains acetic acid, methanol, acetone, wood oils, and

         tars [syn: pyroligneous acid
<http://dict.die.net/pyroligneous%20acid/> ]

See: http://www.agnet.org/library/pt/2005025/pt2005025.pdf

Food & Fertilizer Technology Center for the Asian and Pacific Region (FFTC)

Also linked at:

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=fftcvinegar

Others can tell us what components of the pyroligneous acid are used by the
plants and organisms.

Tom