[Terrapreta] Fw: Charcoal Injector

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Fri Apr 13 10:33:45 CDT 2007

  a.. Dear Sean,
  b.. You are right. The organic substances in the water of guttation do feed the soil micro-organisms. I may add that the sugars in the water of guttation often come from the exudates of aphids and mealy bugs, who too are a part of the symbiosis between the soil micro-organisms and the green plants. In fact this symbiosis started with lichens, which evolved about 3.5 billion years ago. All terrestrial plant taxa, right from the Psilotales and Lycopods to the modern Angiosperms are associated with mycorrhiza. So obviously it is the fungi, that have the ability to degrade insoluble minerals into water soluble ions. By associating themselves with green plants, they get their organic nutrients and make them available to the green plants. Rocks show signs of dissolution underneath lichens. I do plan to conduct experiments with charcoal applied to agricultural fields. In fact that was one of the seasons for my joining this discussion group.
  c.. Yours A.D.Karve