[Terrapreta] Charcoal Injector

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Wed Apr 11 16:19:27 CDT 2007

Tom asked:
> What function would charcoal play to improve growth in switchgrass? Would
> it
> improve yields? If so how?

Well, if it helps other plants, why not switchgrass? To be honest, I
simply do not know.

> Where, how much and in what form should charcoal be applied? A simple slot
> injection between "rows" might work if it puts it in the right place.

I do not have rows, it's all broadcasted. But why not plow strips up and
add the charcoal. Say 10% a year.

I have a backhoe so I could dig strips up and add charcoal.

> Would charcoal use reduce the amount of fertilizer used for the same
> yield?

I wish I knew.

> Too bad we don't have a budget for the agronomic work in the Chariton
> Valley
> Biomass Project ( www.iowaswitchgrass.com ) project anymore.

What can we do SMALL SCALE?

Jeff

--
Jeff Davis

Some where 20 miles south of Lake Erie, USA