[Terrapreta] Charcoal, Earthworms and Switchgrass

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Apr 12 22:38:51 CDT 2007

A technique suggested today by folks in the Southern Iowa is to apply
biochar on switchgrass in the late winter and let the snow and rain work it
in. Wind is clearly a problem.

There was interest in the idea of using bio-char as a soil amendment to
bring up the productivity of areas of poor quality, hard clay. So you may
not treat the whole field but just the areas that need it. They're applying
about 35-40 lbs N/acre as urea applied with the herbicides.

A side comment was that the heavy use of anhydrous ammonia on these fields
in earlier years of intensive corn and soybean killed off much of the large
earthworm population. From what I have seen bio-char seems to be a good way
of restoring the earthworm population which obviously would have positive
effects on soil texture.

Tom Miles