[Terrapreta] charcoal mix

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Apr 17 00:37:48 CDT 2007

Hi Michael,

I have read anywhere from 3 tons/acre to 14 tons/acre (that's likely short tons = 2000 lbs and 2.47 acre = 1 hectare).  Pick some doable density number in that range.  Or pick a few different densities.  Decide based on how much charcoal you can make or get and how much land you want to amend.  Then cultivate the charcoal in the top 10-15 centimeters (top 4-6 inches) at that density.  If you are planting some crops in alkaline soils, find out from the nursery where you get the seeds or plants, what the pH of the soil should be.  Measure the pH of the soil after applying charcoal (litmus paper tests available at most nurseries, too), then balance the soil pH to that needed by the plants.  Add urea or compost to lower the pH, or lime to raise it, etc.  The nursery should be able to help you do this.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC