[Terrapreta] Re Charcoal and------Bokashi

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Apr 17 01:52:53 CDT 2007

Hi Bakary,

The "producer gas" from a biomass pyrolysis reaction in a retort is composed of many gases and vaporous components.  Molecular hydrogen gas (H2), carbon monoxide (CO), and methane (CH4) are energy containing fuel gases.  Combined they make up about half of the gas volume (methane at < 3%).  The other half of the gas volume, is carbon dioxide (CO2), molecular nitrogen gas (N2), and water vapor (H2O), molecular oxygen gas (O2), and very small amounts of some others (like argon).  These are all inert gases (chemically inert and useless as fuels), but they do carry heat energy away from the retort.  Additionally, mixed into these gases will be vaporous, less partially combusted, longer hydrocarbon chains; pyroligneous oil, acetic acid, poly-aromatic hydrocarbons, etc.  These are more generally called "bio-oils", "volatile matter", "wood tars", or simply tars.  Lastly, depending on the design of the retort and the amount and direction of air or oxygen flow through the charcoal bed, there can also be a fair amount of soot or smoke in the effluent.  Soot is smoke; it is simply exploded off, very small particles of unburned charcoal (nearly pure carbon).  These particles rise with draft of the heated gases venting away from the combustion, because they are so small and porous.  They have a fairly low density and float up, until they are free from the hot gas stream.  Then they fall, because these very small and fluffy carbon particles really are denser than air.

As for storing the gases, the issue is cleaning the effluent of undesired components.  When the tar components cool they turn to liquids and even solidify.  The liquids mix with the soot/smoke and then you just get a lot of tarry, black, gunk (some people call it creosote).  It will clog any small piping very fast and will line the innards of any compressed gas storage tank.  But, there are ways to go tar cleanup on the gases.  Simplest is to blow the exhaust through an enclosed chamber filled with biomass (wood chips for instance) and capture the cleaned gas on the other side.  The soot and tars will condense onto the wood chips.  Eventually the chips need to be replaced (throw them into the retort!).
There are other ways to clean the tars but they require more complicated equipment and techniques.  If you burn the gases immediately, with enough air added, then the tars can be burned completely in the flare.

So you can cleaner gas.  But its half fuel (maybe) and half inert.  I say maybe half fuel, because it the retort has too much air, then more completely combustion occurs, resulting in less charcoal, less fuel gases, and more inert gases.  The inert gases are the products of complete combustion.  The inert gases are hard to separate, so, if you attempt to store the gases in a compressed storage tank for instance, then you will end up compressing and storing them too.  This will lower the BTU density of the stored fuel gas.  Unless the storage tanks are very large and the residence time is very low before the gases are used, then compression level will have to be high.  High rates of compression require energy to achieve.  It is possible that you may need to use more energy compressing the gas than is contained in the volume you would compress.

Realistically, its better to convert the energy from the hot gases sooner, immediately out of the retort into some other form of stored energy.  Consider that clean producer gas can run an internal combustion engine, which could turn a generator, and the generated electricity could charge batteries.  Consider that both the direct heat from the pyrolysis reactor and heat from combustion of the producer gases could be used to make steam and turn a steam turbine/electric generator to charge batteries.  Or the heat could be used directly (to heat a greenhouse for instance) or the heat could be stored into a well insulted heat sink, underground, and used sometime a little while later (like stored in the day and used at night in winter).

A retort can be designed, which produces little or no fuel off gases, low amounts of exhaust, and more charcoal (which contains higher volatile matter content).  The charcoal yield can be impressive (40% by weight, 60% of the energy content).  Such retorts operate at higher pressures and have very well controlled airflows.  When its sealed, there are only energy containing bio-oils (no charcoal, no gases).  These are not low-tech retorts.

Now I want to make a very important point.  Whenever you have a pyrolysis reactor (retort) which produces off gases containing fuels (H2, CO, CH4), those gases should definitely be flared off (burned) rather than simply released into the atmosphere, even if you cannot find a use for the energy.  Methane (CH4) is a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2 OR H2O and its much worse for the environment to release it raw rather than to burn it (CO2 and H2O are the combustion products of CH4).  In the United States, it is illegal to release landfill gas directly to the atmosphere.  It must be burned, because it contains methane.  It's also illegal to vent gases directly from a digester to the atmosphere, for the same reason.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC