[Terrapreta] Capturing the smoke with charcoal

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Tue Apr 17 11:14:31 CDT 2007

Rich and I were considering a fan, a squirrel cage style, to draw (so
that a tower is not required) the hot gasses from the burn to a
charcoal filter stack. With a little water spray to prevent charcoal
ignition, would the charcoal absorb a significant portion of the
smoke? Would the water spray cooling the gasses cause condensation of
the "bio-oils" (pyroligneous oil,  acetic acid,  poly-aromatic
hydrocarbons,  etc.  These are more generally called "bio-oils",
"volatile matter",  "wood tars",  or simply tars---SKB note) to occur
before absorption by the charcoal? Is there a way of using the inert
gases to prevent combustion of the charcoal and not use water?

Let rephrase this thought: Can we make a better product of charcoal
with these out-gasses? Specifically, what is the value of the
components of the smoke and can we capture the CO2 and methane in a
charcoal filter?

Sean, as you know, I do not have a scientific background. At the same
time, I like to understand process, usually that is a linear event.
As I formulate these questions and reread your last post of April 16,
2007 11:52:53 PM PDT, I feel that I am answering some of my questions
so it is difficult to stop at a question because I think I have a
partial understanding of that question. Thanks for the problem. I
thoroughly enjoy this.

Thanks to all-------Larry