[Terrapreta] Charcoal mix continued

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Apr 17 23:33:16 CDT 2007

Hi Michael,

As I understand the study of  the Amazon Terra Preta sites, the charcoal found in the soils today is very old (2500-4500 years old, document by carbon dating).  It is also at 30% now in some places and was probably left that way when it stopped being used.  It was also used at lower densities in other areas and maybe was used in the 30% areas when the densities were lower and prior to that time usage stopped.  It has been found very deep (like 5 feet) and always in layers.  Some sites appear to have had charcoal continuously incorporated into them over perhaps centuries.  So, I think your theory about small applications over time is cirrect and supported by evidence in the Amazon.

The pure carbon element of the charcoal (approx 93% pure carbon) is highly resilient in soil.  It does not dissolve, does not wash away, does not gas off into the atmosphere, does not get decomposed by soil microbes, nor does it get taken up into roots and used by plants.  However, the volatile matter in charcoal (sometimes "bio-oils", "wood tars", "wood vinegar", "tars", liquid smoke", etc) is decomposed by soil microbes.  But the bulk of the charcoal (the carbon) stays for centuries with little discernable loss.