[Terrapreta] some thoughts about Terra Preta

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Apr 18 20:36:58 CDT 2007

Hi John Cowan,

Welcome to our discussions.  Have you ever attempted to measure the effect on carbon dioxide uptake there is by plants that show increased growth, due to enhancement of the soil under them with even a small amount of charcoal (say 5% in the top 15cm)?
What if charcoal was put into soil that was used to grow and energy crop, like Salix (fast growing willow), or sugar cane, or switch grass?  Those crops could be harvested annually, or coppiced every three years (Salix), the biomass used to produce carbon neutral fuels (like ethanol, methanol, or synthetic diesel) and/or carbon neutral electric power.

If only part of the biomass energy was used for fuel and the rest left in charcoal, then that charcoal could be used to make another field of an energy crop grow faster and bigger, increasing it's uptake of atmospheric CO2 and its yield of energy.  It would also make the energy originally harvested for use into CARBON NEGATIVE energy.

There are areas of the planet, countries and governments even, who have pulled their heads out of their donkey's and they have enacted a "carbon cap and trade system" to provide an economic incentive to reduce CO2 emissions.  I believe that charcoal production from biomass and the consequent gains in biomass yield (CO2 uptake), along with a worldwide market for carbon trading, can change our worldwide energy economy over to one which is carbon negative.  In the current state of the world, I believe there are better economic incentives in harvesting carbon negative energy, than there are in harvesting carbon neutral energy.  Charcoal in soil will enhance the productivity of both.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC