[Terrapreta] Successful charcoal burn

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Thu Apr 19 10:13:28 CDT 2007

Sean-------Please excuse the delay in answering your questions. They
are answered at the end of this e-mail. I wanted to first explain
what happen so that you and other members of this list can better
appreciate this process, our high point and those low points.

We actually had two burns in the last two weeks on the Sand Road.
They were by the seat of our pants. We really did not know what to
expect. After having said this, I feel that the caution exercised
with the air taken into the the firing chamber produced some
excellent results. I will relate the different burns so you can get a
better picture of our procedure. We will learn far more if our ideas
are exchanged freely so you will note that the release of carbon
dioxide and methane is obvious.

You may have noted in Richard's comments, we have not, at this point,
invested in the necessary instrumentation to answer some of your
questions. Number are not my strong suit while the long term growing
of plants is. I would like for you to know what we have done,
separately and together. Richard's history with charcoal at the
Fourth Corner Nursery (Sand Road firings, also) has been posted on
the Terra Preta web site and he will answer any questions about the
charcoal that has been used in his nursery operation. What follows is
from my perspective.

Richard showed pictures (URL below) of charcoal from my garden
(Southside neighborhood - Bellingham, WA) that was posted on the
Terra Preta Web site. My garden has a history that I now feel led to
the successful use of charcoal which Richard documented. It has been
my practice for fifteen years to use wood chip (from a tree pruning
company who cleared the power lines of potentially hazardous
branches) as a mulch in my landscaping business.

The mulch would act as a weed barrier (6" or more) for three or so
years and provided habitat for soil flora and fauna. The space
between the pieces of chips became the home for the critters and the
chip became the source of food for somebody. At one point, I had
6-700 yards of green-tree sourced wood chips, reasonably high in
nitrogen and about 150 yards of planer shavings of re-milled old
growth Douglas Fir material with a C/N ratio around 400 to 1. So
liberal use of these materials was used, at every opportunity, in my
landscaping including at this Southside garden.

Woody debris in the form of wood chip was use starting around ten
years ago at this garden. Within that period of time, for about five
years, The garden lay fallow with a heavy layer of chips covering
(8-10") covering it. Then two years ago I started gardening on this
site again. This is when I started thinking about Terra Preta.

The Weber First

My first charring experience (with some charcoal) was with a Webber
barbecue grill. I worked out of town building Urban hiking trails
east of Seattle and was gone between two to four days a week. I
cooked enough chicken in the Webber for the period of time I was out
of town. The chicken was used in small meal trays and placed in an
iced cooler for the work week. This meant that I cook a lot of
chicken for the years that I worked trails and for the last two years
produced a reasonable amount of charred wood and some charcoal.

This Webber material was used in my garden and produced the largest
swiss chard that I have grown, right at 42" high. The diameter of the
plant was large compared to other chard plants grown in previous
years in the same location. Rich was able to take the first pictures
of  mycelium roots and Swiss Chard roots attached to the pieces of
charcoal. There was no commercial fertilizer. I purposefully extended
the charring of alder branches to additional smoke after the chicken
was cooked. Of course, chicken fat sizzled on the store-bought
charcoal briquets. I think that that smoke was the critical step to
the growth of the swiss chard but that is just a guess. These
pictures are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/sets/
72157594444994347/ and are the group of four pieces of charcoal in
the upper left corner.

The Kona  Burn

My second attempt to make charcoal was on the Big Island of Hawaii at
the beginning of April, 07' for a local garden and an organic  farmer
above Honaunau on the Kona coast of Hawaii. I was located in a
farming belt with 1/2 day cloud covered which means more rain than at
the beaches below. The wind moves downhill at night and uphill during
the day so because of a nearby home I had to be very careful that the
wind was blowing the smoke downhill, away from the well ventilated
house. Which is more threatening the EPA or a mad housewife who's
clothing has been smudged?

The burn was towards 3 cubic feet of Strawberry Guava with pieces of
wood that were less than three inches in diameter. There was very
little dirt on this coast line (plenty of lave rock though) so it was
difficult to seal the fire. So I improvised using the petiole of palm
tree fronds (leaves cut off) that functioned to hold the roof of the
firing chamber from collapsing as the wood settled. I used 3-4 inches
of grass on top of the fronds, then cardboard which was covered with
the little dirt that I had. It was an overnight burn (10:30 PM to
7:30 AM). When the fire was uncovered and doused with water there was
a rich sweet smell coming from the partially cooked grass that seemed
significant, I believe.

There was one 5 gal bucket of charcoal and another bucket of charred
pieces of wood that was recovered. My suggestion was that the
charcoal be place in only one half of any vegetable rows and that the
charred wood ends be driven into the soil around one of two Hawaiian
pepper shrubs. Digging up one pepper plant to place charcoal around
the root ball would slow it's growth and driving, with a hammer,
charred wood into the soil would be less damaging to that plant's
root system. This material has been distributed mixed in, placed on
and pounded into the garden soil as I hear it. There has been no
attempt to be scientific just a curiosity if there is any difference
in the garden beds.

The Sand Road Repetitions

The third attempt at making charcoal was with Richard Haard and
contained a little under 1.5 cords of split alder, maple, a little
cherry and a few pieces of Douglas Fir. This wood was reasonably dry.
Although, we took dated pictures I haven't tried to figure out the
time sequence of the first and second part of this charcoaling
adventure. There were two burns with three fires started to charcoal
this 1.5 cords of wood.

First Burn---up-draft
I didn't allow enough air into the first burn (with up-draft air
supply). Early in this Sand Road burn our curiosity had us open up
the air supply on the down side of the sloped firing chamber to see
what was happening and as the fire crackle away we pulled out some
nice charcoal (mixed in sand and wet hay). We closed the lower air
supply off thinking that there enough air leaking into the fire
chamber to sustain a slow fire and the fire went out prematurely. No
pipes were used nor did I spent the night camped on site to check the
fire, an old tradition.

The Re-Burn---down-draft
The following weekend with the second burn, called the re-burn, the
pile was re-stacked and the floor of the fire chamber had an addition
slope of 6-8'' for a down-draft burn to pull air. I added another 15
pieces of fresh (green) alder poles to assist in holding the roof of
the firing chamber intact.

We added a 10' of 8" stove pipe with a 90 degree elbow (staked with
long metal fence posts). Then we sealed the elbow and the lower 12"
of the stack with dirt. We started the fire high in the higher end of
the wood pile with six 1 inch pipes to provide air to the fire. The
fire was started with a fire log and paper douse with diesel. The 10'
stack started to draw the smoke out. We thought we had a fire. By the
next morning the fire was out.  I now believe that the fire was hot
enough sustain itself via the down-sloped venting stack in spite of
the initial venting of smoke and the six 1" air pipes accessing air
to the fire.

The remains of the fire log of this firing indicated that there was
likely not enough draw up the stack. I still am considering the
effects of the amount of heat available, the amount of air available
and the additional depth required to pull air up the 10' stack. Only
a repeat of this type of mound firing will give reflection on those
variables.

The Re-Burn---second firing---down-draft
There was a hotspot where the previous fire was started which created
an air hole that Richard closed in 4 hours (?) after starting the
fire, the patched roof held for the remaining portion of the second
burn, third firing. We added three of the 1.5 inch air intake pipes
were low in the upper side of the mound (north end furthest from the
stack).

When I restarted the fire, I used a fire log, 2 cups of diesel and a
propane torch. I didn't think that I would lose the wood to ash this
time. The reason for dropping the egress for the smoke was to capture
more of the volatiles in the burning chamber. I believed that it work
from the iridescent surface on the charcoal and what Rich described
as "showing fiberous structure of carbonized vascular tissue" which
we noticed in the south end of the mound. In the picture showing the
smoking stack you can notice that the left side (north) of the mound
is lower than the right side. It appears that both increased air
supply to the lower portion of the stacked wood and the fire starting
materials, especially the fire log, created excess heat that ashed a
portion of the charcoal on this upper side of the burn. See: http://
farm1.static.flickr.com/206/458350077_eddb136e0a_o.jpg  .

Also, establishing an understanding between our use of traditional
charcoal production and the societal burning practices is in order so
that we do not self-limit our learning as we search for workable
solutions to human habitation and global warming. I understand that
capturing the wood vinegar is very important from a plant growing
point of view and for the atmosphere. We live on the only blue-green
globe that we know of. We have no choice but to change or change will
overwhelm us-------Larry

P.S. See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/458342446/in/
set-72157594444994347/  and http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/
458350089/in/set-72157594444994347/  .

P.P.S. Here are the my answers to the questions that you asked:

1) Was that exhaust draft stack shown in the eddb136e0a_o.jpg picture
venting from the bottom of the wood stack?
	You were right, 8 inches.

2) Where were the air inlets? and Was the cross-sectional area of the
air inlet smaller or larger than the draft vent (looks like 8" vent
pipe)?
	a) 3-1" pipes at mid-way in the pile
	b) 3-1" pipes at ground level
	c) 3-1.5" pipes on the north side of the unfinished mound before the
pipes were installed. The pipes were later placed together between
the pallet's boards.

3) How long was the burn before covering?
	Less than thirty minutes.

4) How long was it "pyrolizing" (small amount of air input)?
	Without looking at the time on the photos, I believe that I shut the
air down after I realized how hot the stove pipe was as I touched the
pipe with my forearm and realized that it was the hottest stove pipe
I had ever touched. I was burning carbon. All the pipes that I looked
into showed bright glowing embers. I decided to stop as much of the
inflow as possible. The burn was pyrolizing from 6PM till it cooled
to days later. When we opened it up there was some heat venting (no
smoke, just hot air and not unpleasantly hot) at the top of the
opening and I told Rich that we should get as much of the charcoal
out as possible in case we still have glowing embers. Fortunately,
there were no embers glowing and we removed all the charcoal.

5) Did you see the color of the smoke change from white to blue/clear
before you stopped?
	No! And I was looking for it and was very busy closing down the fire.

6)  Was the vent stack melted at the bottom at all?
	No, although a creosote material which flowed as the lava flowed in
Hawaii did form in the elbow. It had a puffy texture. At the top of
the stack as some deposited out gasses that were very thin and
fragile. This material fractured like glass and was shiny. I save
samples of both.
  7) Were you able to make any temperature measurements?
	Not this time. I have started to look for some appropriate
instruments. With this mound firing it would have been very easy to
insert a sensing device down the 1" pipe.