[Terrapreta] Making Soil from Oil

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Thu Apr 19 10:58:41 CDT 2007

            Dear Dr. Karve,

I'm not quite sure why you suggest that "growing forests is a better way of
carbon sequestration".  If carbon dioxide in the atmosphere really is a
problem, then we need to seek long term means to manage it. I understand
that growing forests reach a sort of steady state where little if any
additional carbon is sequestered. Nature tends to burn forests occasionally,
probably converting some of the wood to charcoal. The regrowth of forests
thus establishes a soil sink over generations of forests. The terra preta
concept seems key to human enhancement of this process of growth, regrowth
and carbon sequestration over generations of humans and forests to build
soil and manage atmospheric CO2 content, although John Cowan's concerns
about grand dreams are fully justified.

Naturally, humans give high priority to events occurring in their own
lifetime. Here in Alberta, Canada, the life time of forests is apparently
similar to that of humans, as fires are fairly frequent. It would seem that
would provide some additional incentive to investigate the potential of the
terra preta concept here. Some commentary on my website is intended to stir
some interest - unsuccessfully so far as I know.

http://www.computare.org/commentary.htm   - second article "September 26,
2006 - Carbon sinks in northern Alberta"

Many are concerned with the potential destruction of land in northern
Alberta from the development of the oil sand deposits there. Indeed, Google
shows a massive scar there, and the oil recovery has barely begun.  It seems
there is great potential, with our fast growing forests, to undertake a
grand terra preta research and development project funded by oil companies
as a part of their land reclamation initiatives. The terra preta concept
that we might be able to "make soil from oil" is no where more fitting than
here.

Sincerely,

Duane Pendergast