[Terrapreta] Responding to Part 1 (size of activity) of John Cowan's "thoughts" message of 18 April

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 12:50:19 CDT 2007

John (cc terrapreta list (assuming you don't mind my including all)):

You sent today the following (given in full after this response).  Since there are few disagreements apparently between us, I will just list below a few additional comments:

Item 2a:  I did not intend to imply TP was ".. THE answer to climate change..".  In fact, if we could get up to the level of one "wedge" of carbon reduction (about 15%of the total reductions from the no-action levels) with TP by 2030, that would be huge.  I doubt any single solution  (ie wind, solar, other biomass) other than energy efficiency will be more than one "wedge".

Item 2b:  I agree that "there are also other drivers".  In  particular the #2 driver is CH4 - which (fortunately for our arguments) should also go down as more biomass if pyrolyzed rather than allowed to "digest".

Item 3:   Re "...get behind this quickly",  I am very scared that "getting behind" isn't happening fast enough.  Still very few people (and almost no policy makers) are aware of TP.  What will be the worst outcome is allowing the idea to gain credence that the TP idea has no legs (before we have the required data, if that is the case).  This is the reason for my wanting to keep up the dialog on how big an influence this can be for climate improvement purposes.

Your final paragraph:  I agree with you re "....understanding the powers that have much invested in things the way they are. I am pessimistic in this respect...".   I also am pessimistic - about especially the coal and nuclear industries, with declining importance of oil and gas as they pass (pretty soon I believe) the peak oil/gas points.  However, I am optimistic about the rapidly growing role of the ag lobby - which should be strongly on our side.  We have a tough job ahead of us to get a place at the table.

Ron