[Terrapreta] Soil ph

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Thu Apr 19 20:52:20 CDT 2007

Thank you Randy - Interesting research project

I do not know yet what effect the charcoals i will be using will
effect my test soils. I will be conducting some tests just as you
have done sometime next week. I am taking care to eliminate ash as
even ash from pine needle char would be alkaline.

In your tests I would suggest that you determine if the pine needle
char causes soil pH to change as soils have buffering properties.

My U Mass soil tests included pH and buffer pH. The buffer pH is a
measure of the soil to resist pH change after lime is added or stored
acidity. My soils have a pH of 6.6 and a buffer pH of 6.6 meaning it
may resist change in pH with addition of the charcoal. So perhaps I
may be able to get by without sulphur.

Rich H