[Terrapreta] some thoughts about Terra Preta

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Apr 20 02:13:56 CDT 2007

Hi John,

When you consider that the bulk of biomass is hydrocarbons, then increased plant growth (biomass growth) equates to increased CO2 uptake.  Plants do not get carbon from any source but the atmosphere (inspired CO2).

Using fossil fuel as the standard for lowest cost energy source today (it is, ask an oil company executive , or a coal mine operator), then there is an obvious cost for BTUs/kwH/horsepower of energy (like $2.55/gall for gasoline @ ~125,000 BTU).  The cost to bring this @$2.55 gallon of gasoline includes raw material (petroleum crude), transportation (oil tanker shipping, tanker truck), production (refining crude into gasoline), distribution (gas station marketing), credit management (your gas station credit card), and greed (ENRON).  It does not directly include costs like security (the war Dubyah started in Iraq and the consequent taxes your grandchildren's grandchildren will be paying for that), hurricane Katrina (ferocity and frequency caused by global warming, not to mention is effects on the costs of operating the USA's largest and nearly only petroleum refining sites in the world), third world drought, famine, and starvation, which the first world feels compelled to pay for (and well they should, since it is our activities which effect world climate and are in part causing it), and etc (the world is going to hell in a hand basket because of our current energy economy).  I'll stop the diatribe.  The point is, the price paid for using carbon emitting fossil fuels does not even begin to accommodate the true cost of using them.

This is recognized by many who do not have a direct financial stake in selling fossil fuels.  It is ignored by those who do.  What the Kyoto Protocol tried to do, and is doing in other parts of the world, is cap the level emissions of carbon to the atmosphere by enacting legislation which would impose a fine, or a fee, or a tax, on economic entities which produced net positive carbon dioxide emissions into the atmosphere.  Also enacted, these carbon polluters could trade for carbon credits (offsetting their CO2 emissions fees) with entities which could show a net carbon negative system, a sink.  These are not government subsides, these are not taxes on populations.  These were fees and credits transacted between entities which either produce CO2 emissions or sink carbon.

Too be sure, these would represent immediate costs to entities who produce CO2 emissions and who could not find credits for the sinking of carbon by others.  Too be sure, if CO2 polluters had to sink enough carbon to equate with their own emissions, they would endure costs.  Greed caused powerful business interests from big CO2 polluters (oil, coal, and automotive industries) to run their screaming US congressional lobbyists to Washington DC, to scare the bejezzus out the the US congress by telling them that "Well, we will JUST HAVE to pass these costs on to the American public."  "Your constituents will blame you for doing this to them and not re-elect you!"

But, in places like Australia, where they did sign on to the Kyoto protocol, "carbon cap and trade" is big business now.  In 2005, carbon trading was a $100 BILLION business just that year.  By 2012, it is estimated to be $500 billion, in Australia alone.  That does not represent government subsidy in any way shape or form.  It is potentially huge government revenue (business income taxes).  It represent enormous new business growth (carbon sequestration businesses selling credits).

It is currently very easy to take local agricultural waste (free raw material, no transportation, no very high tech refineries) and turn it into economically produced locally usable energy (electricity).  It is also entirely doable to make biomass into liquid transportation fuels (ethanol and synthetic diesel are already being made from biomass).  Additionally, all of this can be cone with biomass and at the same time, carbon can be removed from the atmosphere and put into a very long term sink (charcoal in soil).  Doing this can increase plant growth in those soils, and consequently increase CO2 uptake by those fields.  Doing this can make soils which require less or even NO application of industrial chemical fertilizer (the production of fertilizer, incidentally, is the second largest user of fossil fuels in the USA, after transportation).

BIOMASS processing = cheaper ENERGY + more productive AGRICULTURE soils - atmospheric CARBON.