[Terrapreta] TP charcoal content and soil fertility

John G. Flottvik jovick at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 20 09:05:24 CDT 2007

Dear Christopher.

Thanks for your valuable input.
While watering my pots, the pot (pot #2) with 50 % charcoal retained the
water at least 4 times as long as some of the others.
Is it possible that this occured with terra preta? Keeping the rain water in
the soils longer?
I  also notice that the Ph in Terra preta is around 6. Would this sample be
taken in soils with 10 % charcoal? The reason I ask is that the Ph Minimum
Analysis Guarantee (Rich took a sample to a Washington State lab) in our
product is 6.92%.
Could you coment on the ground around Terra preta sites, as in, would the
water just run of, or seep trough the ground. The reason I ask this is if
char helped keep the soil moist.

Thanks

John Flottvik