[Terrapreta] [Fwd: Re: Part II comments on John Cowan's "thoughts"]

Juergen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Fri Apr 20 13:28:07 CDT 2007

John Cowan wrote:
> I've calculated this to be 130 PSI. I have yet to find such equipment.
> Back to make something from scratch?

Sean Barry has suggested 22.3 PSI.  That seems low to me, 130 seems
high.  "Seems" is simply based on the knowledge that ordinary
pressure cookers work at about 15 PSI.

I found the following on a web page about pressure cookers...

  "At sea level the temperature of steam is 212°F. for each
  pound of pressure increased, the temperature increases by 3°F."

That would give about 48 PSI for 180 degrees Celcius.

Sterilization autoclaves are definitely not designed for this
kind of pressure.  So yes, it looks like making something from
scratch.  I'm up for working on a design!

:j