[Terrapreta] some thoughts about Terra Preta

Christoph Steiner Christoph.Steiner at uni-bayreuth.de
Fri Apr 20 13:52:53 CDT 2007

I am not convinced if not everything was burned. I frequently had barbecue
with friends when I was living in Manaus and I burned all residues. My
compost was only for plant material with low protein, fat or sugar
content. These materials attract all kind of animals in the tropics. The
animals can be harmful to your crops or to your health. I assume this was
the same for the creators of Terra Preta. After a burn bones easily break
into powder (ash) and pieces. Together with the compost I applied this Ca
and P rich ash together with charcoal in my garden. I assume that this was
creating Terra Preta.
It is right that wood charcoal contains only little amounts of nutrients
(maybe some potassium). But not every charcoal is the same. Peanut husk or
rice husk charcoal is rich in nutrients. The charcoal produced in Japan
from urban wastes is rich in nutrients. This type of charcoal is a real
fertilizer, whereas wood charcoal can be considered rather as soil
conditioner and extra nutrients need to be added.

Best,
Christoph