[Terrapreta] To compost or not; and some other points

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 23:46:37 CDT 2007

Thanks Frank
 What a great post on compost
Can it be re-posted say to the Permaculture and hypography forums?

re high temp/low temp char
There is some suggestion that higher temperatures and/or activation increase
char's water holding capacity. I can't find any research to back this up
however. Any help would be appreciated!
 Water is a BIG issue in Australia at the moment. Recent research by the OZ
Horticulture industry has shown that water holding granules/polimers work
well in the lab but not at all well under field conditions. It would be nice
if Charcoal could help out here.

Depends too, on what you mean by "high", temp.
BEST Energies have made Chicken Manure char at 400 and 600C (Pure, activated
charcoal is,  I believe,  made at much higher temps)
With these results. (Thanks to Dr Stephen Joseph of BEST Australia.)

*NPK Analysis of Charred chicken litter produced at 400oC and 600oC *

Temperature of Reactor

400ºC

600ºC

Nitrogen (wt%, db)