[Terrapreta] John Cowan's comments

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Apr 21 10:51:22 CDT 2007

Dear Dr. Karve,

You refuse to give me a direct answer to my question at the top of my previous E-MAIL.

"Specifically what are the "minerals" that you say soil microorganisms get from soil?"

I can rephrase is again.  What is the exact chemical composition of the ions that you say microorganisms decompose from soil to deliver to plants?  What are the atomic elements constituting the ionic molecules or ionic atoms?  As I suggested before, I agree with you that enhancing the health and size of a microorganism population in soil will enhance the growth of plants above that soil, because microorganism do decompose plant nutrients from more complex organic molecules contained in soil.  But, the chemical elements involved in the released ions are organic (N, P, K, S, Ca, Fe).  They are specifically not inorganic, insoluble "minerals", which are made into soluble plant nutrients (organic chemicals).

I will vehemently contest with you whether microorganisms decompose Silicon-Si or silicate minerals (e.g. SiO2-quartz sand), Aluminum-Al or aluminium phyllosilicate (clay), Thorium, Azurite, Bauxite, Cuprite, Dolomite, Gold, Radon (a gas), Uranium, or significant amounts of any of the hundreds of other inorganic minerals, and break off any organic plant nutrient ions from those minerals.  Microorganisms cannot perform atomic operations.  They cannot convert atoms of one element into atoms of other elements.  Atomic transformations only occur at very very high energy levels via nuclear reactions, not at soil temperatures via biochemical operations, but at plasma temperatures, like in the core of a star or inside the implosion of a supernova (again via nuclear operations, which microorganism cannot perform).

Please answer the direct question.  What "minerals" do you say soil microorganisms decompose into what ions, that they make available to plants?  The exact chemical composition, please?