[Terrapreta] Ca & P

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Sun Apr 22 16:44:50 CDT 2007

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Randy,
>
> Someone in here (I think it was Christoph Steiner) said the natural Amazonian oxisol soils were low in pH and particularly deficit in phosphorus and calcium.
>
> SKB

Phosphorous  in the soil is usually in insoluble form and not available
to plants except for the action of wee beasties, mainly the mychorizae
(VAMs)??? Calcium also tends to be insoluble. There is only one salt of
calcium that is soluble and that is the nitrate. So perhaps wee beasties
are probably again responsible for making it available to plants.
Perhaps by way of chelates??? We are still very much groping in the dark
here.

Kurt