[Terrapreta] microorganisms "chelate" minerals from soil

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 22 19:07:51 CDT 2007

Kurt,

Kurt wrote,

"Perhaps that is precisely what we need to do. Take some sand, perhaps
from decomposed granite. Wash it well to remove all organic material,
add some wee beasties to some and some sugar to part of that, making
three lots of soil and plant some seeds in them to see how they grow.
Any ideas?"

That's been suggested.  You are right about chelation too, Kurt -> http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/10r.html<http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/10r.html>

The thing is, pure sand, sans organic matter, is pure Silicon-Dioxide (SiO2).  There is not one atom of any necessary plant nutrient to be found in that chemical compound (SiO2).  So, I don't see how any army of "wee beasties" (grown with even gallons of sugar water per square meter) is going to make one atom of any of the plant nutrients (N, P, K, S, Ca, Mg, Fe) more available to plants, when the nutrients are simply not there.

Any new ideas about how that might occur?