[Terrapreta] sugar usage

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 23 21:19:35 CDT 2007

Hi Michael,

>From what I've read I do not think sugar is harmful.  25 kg per hectare, every 2 or 3 months has been mentioned.  If a pot is 20 cm across (like 8") then it's like .03 sq meters.  A hectare is 10,000 sq meters, so that pot is 3.14E-6 hectares large (small?).  At the 25kg /hectare rate, that's 78 mg of sugar every 2 or 3 months.

SKb
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael N Trevor<mailto:mtrevor at ntamar.net>
  To: terrapreta at bioenergylists.org<mailto:terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>
  Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 7:52 PM
  Subject: [Terrapreta] sugar usage

  The soils chemistry debates here may be getting a bit esoteric, can anyone
  provide some simple
  advise?
  Does anyone know if sugar is actually harmful?
  If it is truly is beneficial what kind of amounts are we looking at in pound
  per arce
  or kilos per hectares, or for home gardening and flowerpots maybe teaspoons
  per gallons.
  I am more than willing to try a cup or two on the green onions and basil or
  what ever.
  If it will not help my plants I am more than sure the neighborhood ants will
  like it.