[Terrapreta] soil minerals

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 23 21:46:26 CDT 2007

Hi A.D.

No chip here  ... these are your words -> "But washing would not remove the organic macromolecules and organic colloides that are not water soluble."  I highlighted that last bit.  I'm still just trying to understand what you are suggesting.

So, what insoluble (not water soluble) source in soil (not showing up as measured in soil solution) would should say is the most likely source of plant nutrients, made available to the roots of plants in soil by soil microorganisms?  I think insoluble inorganic "soil minerals" is a possible source (a very small one, as I do not think they contain significant amounts of plant nutrients), but I see the "not water soluble" organic matter as a more likely source for decomposition by microorganisms.  Before, when I asked (an I may well have been mistaken), but I thought you were referring to inorganic soil minerals (which to me, implies that they do not contain elements which constitute plant nutrients or organic molecular structures; N, P, K, S, Fe, Ca, Fe, etc).

And ,please, Dr. Karve, I do feel real bad, if you feel I was offensive to you in any way with my questions.  I am just asking questions to try and understand what you are saying.  I don't feel that you are willing to answer some things.  I pressed the point too far, perhaps.  My inference about transmutation is simply because I think of inorganic soil minerals as not having ANY plant nutrient elements in them; so where did they come from (flippant suggestion)?  But, where are you suggesting they would come from?  I'm sorry, suggesting transmutation of elements is a ridiculous comment and I know you know better.

Nonetheless, you still seem to not answer the question .. is the source of plant nutrients "soil organic matter" or "inorganic soil minerals"?

Perhaps, it seems, when you say insoluble inorganic soil minerals, you mean not organic molecules, but maybe some minerals which do contain plant nutrients.  Is that where I have been tripping over?