[Terrapreta] Low Temp Chars

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Apr 25 08:51:30 CDT 2007

Hi Allen,

Welcome to the Terra Preta list.  You, know the only thing I ever read outside the postings on this list about low temp. vs. high temp charcoal
has been, I think, mostly hypothetical.  It is hypothesized that charcoal was made by the ancient Amazonians in a very simple way as a "slash and char" operation performed right on the ground in the jungle.  Because of this, is is assumed that the charcoal produced by such methods is low temperature.  Additionally, I think it has been assumed that the longer hydrocarbon strings left in low temp. char (known as the volatile matter, pyroligneous acids, bio-oils, acetic acid, wood vinegar, and etc. various other names) may represent food for soil microorganisms.

I do not doubt the possibility of these claims.  However, I have not as yet seen any proof presented anywhere to support them.  It would be nice, if this group had in it's membership, any microbiologists who could enlighten us as to what the actual metabolic processes of soil micro flora are.  I think we do a lot of guessing, otherwise, without that.  We could conduct our own experimentation, but it may be a long haul before we could actually make and experimentally supported theoretical statements.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC