[Terrapreta] Low Temp Chars

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Apr 25 22:12:03 CDT 2007

Hi Andrew,

It is claimed that microorganisms decompose or digest bio-oils (VM, pyroligneous acids, acetic acid, wood vinegar, etc.) in charcoal
This may in fact be true and there maybe even some evidence to support those claims. But, I don't know if this precludes any sequestration of the carbon in those substances.  When the microorganisms free up plant nutrients from the bio-oils, immediately when they decompose the bio-oils or when the microorganisms die, then the roots of plants will likely take them up.  These nutrients (N, P, K, S, Ca, Fe, Mg,  etc.), however, do not include carbon-C. Growing plants do not absorb soil-based carbon.  They get it from the atmosphere in the form of CO2.