[Terrapreta] Fwd: 2007 California Clean Tech Open Invitation

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Apr 27 22:05:16 CDT 2007

Hi Jim,

Plants do convert solar energy to chemical energy in plants (via photosynthesis).  However, the density of the energy produced per square meter is very low in comparison to even fair PV cells.  The efficiency of photosynthesis in plants on land is ~1-3%, so at a nominal solar energy flux of 1000W/sq. m, that is maybe ~20W of chemical energy stored in all of the plant material on that square meter.  PV cells @10-15% efficiency would produce ~120W/sq m of electricity.

For usable comparison, the chemical energy in the plants remains to be converted into electricity.  If you could harvest half of the biomass (leaving roots) and convert half of the energy of that biomass into low/med BTU biogas (methane via anaerobic digestion, synthesis gas or producer gas via pyrolysis, etc), then run a 25% end-end efficiency internal combustion powered generator, you would be able to produce 0.50 x 0.50 x 0.25 x 20W or 1.25W per square meter.  The initial capital outlay for the equipment to process that biomass to gas and then generate electricity would be much less per sq meter than PV, but the yield of usable electricity per square meter is at least 100 times greater and at light speed vs process time (and labor) through the gasifier.

Just some thoughts.

SKB

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner