[Terrapreta] Charcoal Making - Community adaptation to climate change

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Mon Apr 30 16:57:35 CDT 2007

Saibhaskar Nakka wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I had been following terrapreta discussions, which are very interesting.
>
> Regarding whether to make charcoal or not I would like to share an
> interesting story (link : http://e-charcoalmaking.blogspot.com/) of
> communities decision and the circumstances from a remote village
> called *Kothur
> (meaning new village) *located in the semi-arid environment of the
> interior
> peninsular India.
An excellent example of turning a calamity into a success.

We have parts of Australia (in the Northern Territory) covered by
something called "Giant Sensitive Plant" which could possibly yield
similar results. Of course, being a "Developed Nation" we probably would
not have the people prepared to do the work. Neither do we have the
market, at present. If Terrapreta catches on her the market situation
might change. The worker situation might not though and doing it "high
Tech" would rather spoil things.

Kurt