[Terrapreta] Charcoal Making - Community adaptation to climate change

Saibhaskar Nakka saibhaskarnakka at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 23:32:28 CDT 2007

Dear Tom Miles, Kurt and all,

Thank you very much. I am still learning about terrapreta and its
application for improvement of soil. Yes application of this technology for
soil improvement would be very easy, as there is abundant growth of
Prosopis, more over "the Problem it self is the solution for the Problem".
As Lead Consultant to the "Vulnerability and Adaptability to Climate Change
Programme" on pilot basis soon

I would like to try terrapreta in few acres with farmers. I would like to
know for alkaline soils how much by weight biochar should be added per
hectare? What should be the size of biochar? Can I use the charcoal powder
from Charcoal making Kilns for application?

Traditionally the following solutions are existing among the people:
1. Adding sand to the soil for increasing porosity and permeability so that
the salts would leach out.
2. Mulching with green matter

Would like to encourage farmers adopt drip irrigation methods rather then
flood irrigation.

Traditionally people are cultivating: Cotton, Maize, Sorghum, Red gram
(pigeon pea), Paddy and Castor.

For horticulture would like to encourage: Pomegranate, Guava, Amla (Goose
berry) which are resistant to alkaline soils to some extant.

About the ongoing project: Title: "Vulnerability Assessment and Enhancing
Adaptive capacity to climate change in semi-arid areas of India" is a 4
years programme. As Lead Consultant for AFPRO, I am responsible for project
implementation in Andhra Pradesh State, Kothur is a Pilot village. Supported
by Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). MSSRF, AFPRO and
MANAGE and INFRAS and IC are consortium Partners.

The link http://e-charcoalmaking.blogspot.com/

Dr. N. Sai Bhaskar Reddy