[Terrapreta] Eprida bio-char available

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 1 11:36:06 EDT 2007

Allan,

I'm not an expert.  I just know that this is what is produced locally.

Different processes using different temperatures depending on what
they hope to get out of, and you get different types of char...

This particular process is extremely quick.   The milled wood waste
spends less than two seconds in the pyrolysis chamber.  Basically, it
is almost instantly 'melted' into oil (40% of the input weight), char
(18%) and the rest is gases.  The gases are recycled back into the
system to provide the correct heat (approx 400-500C) for the
pyrolysis chamber.

Gerrit

On 1-Aug-07, at 10:40 AM, Allan Balliett wrote:

> MAN! Do tell me more, since I clearly am under informed!
>
> How long of a process is it, to take a pile of wood and and reduce it
> to self-igniting bio-char? Does it smolder for DAYS, WEEKS?
>
> -Allan
>
> At 10:33 AM -0400 8/1/07, Gerald Van Koeverden wrote:
>> Allan,
>>
>> In the pyrolysis process using wood waste products for producing
>> bio-oil, char output comes to about 18% of the input.  But there's a
>> little problem with shipping and storing the stuff : it's
>> pyrogenic.
>> It will start burning spontaneously on exposure to air.
>>
>> Gerrit
>>

>> On 1-Aug-07, at 7:00 AM, Allan Balliett wrote:
>>
>>> I remain confused as to why pyrolysis char is in such short supply.
>>>
>>> It was my impression that 50% of the inputs are available as char
>>> after the process.
>>>
>>> I guess what I'm missing is the size of the chambers and the length
>>> of the process.
>>>
>>> Can someone (Danny Day?) bring me up to speed on this?
>>>
>>> Also, anyone know anything about the chicken manure pyrolysis
>>> operation in VA?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> -Allan Balliett

>>> terrapreta_bioenergylists.org