[Terrapreta] more on logistics of corn biochar

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 13:20:39 EDT 2007

This is a  very good question and needs a lot of
experimentation to establish our actual limits.

Having said that, I was exposed to the extensive
effort that has been put into the application of
zeolites in agriculture and in the process became very
aware that activated carbon is similar in performance.

Both are now described properly as solid crystalline
acids.  Some are 10,000 times as powerful as sulphuric
acid which eliminates any question as to potential
chemical activity.

The point that I would like to make is that this
apparently benign substance, in the form of biochar is
a great reactor in the face of more mobile ions.

My core thought here, is that I suspect the carbon
dominates and quickly supports the growing environment
regardless of the general soil condition and Ph.

The really interesting experiment will be in trying to
remediate saline soils.  I must admit that I do not
think it will work very well at all, but I would love
to be proved wrong.

=== message truncated ===