[Terrapreta] more on logistics of corn biochar

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 12:52:01 EDT 2007

Thank you for the elucidation on activated charcoal
itself.  I was a little hesitant to mention the term
but also felt that the cooking environment was going
to produce a range of end products that could include
some truly activated charcoal.

Certainly the process would be underway for a long
time and there would be internal moisture available.
The hard question is to estimate the maximum achieved
temperature.  My sense, is that it would rarely get
much over 400 degrees ever.  But that would be
sustained.   We are going to have to build a stack and
find out.

I do expect that we will achieve an end product that
will have a broad distribution of combustion products
that may still contain not just a lot of charcoal but
perhaps some of the more energetic activated charcoal.

What we do know is that even low temperature biochar
is chemically active and is fairly stable in the face
of microbial attack.

Has anyone ever seen a paper describing the
characteristics and behavior of plant material cooked
to a range of finely tuned preset temperatures?  We
really need that data for understanding and predicting
the behavior of terra preta.