[Terrapreta] Wood vinegar production

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 02:03:10 EDT 2007

Hey Edward,

When you run a downdraft gasifier at 600C you will have the highest charcoal
yield are lowest ash formation. For info on gasification, just do a search
"Tom Reed + gasification" one of the best reference papers is
http://www.woodgas.com/Superficial%20Velocity.pdf .

Regarding pyrolysis, the only reactor that make sense for green feedstock to
achieve high char yields in the shortest time with low energy inputs is
the "Flash Carbonizer". Finding a way to deal with the high volume of wet
tar rich gas is the only downside.

The key question regarding good char and bad char is, what is the microbial
response to different char and does that response dramatically change when
the char is produce at different temperatures? If we're looking for long
term carbon storage in the soil then the biological response should be one
of the key areas of research. Last year we sent out bamboo charcoal make
under extremely controlled conditions at 400, 450, 500, 550 & 600C but as
yet I've still not received any indication relating to microbial effect.

Regards,
Rob.