[Terrapreta] Niels Bech's flash pyrolysis

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 22:58:34 EDT 2007

A nice setup, but i am not sure this can add much.
Grinding fuel in a low volume environment is great for
running experiments, but not so great for industrial
scale were we would immediately switch to coal.

I would love to see a literature review article that
organizes the known and puts it behind us.  Huge
amount of work went into this in second world war
germany and was briefly revived during the first
energy crisis.

We have to appeciate that terra preta carbon was
largely produced at a fairly low temperature, and any
system we now use will have to burn the volatiles in
order to make the same low temperature char.  As
desribed in my posts on incinerator modification.

Any other scheme will be rube goldberg mess.

--- Douglas Clayton <dnclayton at wildblue.net> wrote:

> Sorry that link didn't work as intended.  The google
> search does bring
> it right up.
>
> Doug
>

> On Aug 12, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Douglas Clayton wrote:
>

> > A friend just suggested I google  Niels Bech flash
> pyrolysis.  I
> > suggest you all do the same.  I have not been able
> to keep up with
> > posts to the tp list but do not believe Niels Bech
> has been mentioned:
> >
> > http://www.chec.kt.dtu.dk/Research/

Experimental%20Facilities%20within%20CHEC/Flash%20Pyrolysis.aspx