[Terrapreta] Farm Produced Biochar

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Aug 14 20:38:32 EDT 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Gerald Van Koeverden wrote:
> I agree whole-heartedly with Tom.  The idea of the average wheat,
> corn or soybean farmer getting into this, is highly doubtful at the
> economic level.
>
> At this point, the potential interested clients would be either:
>
> a) City gardeners with small plots.  For many of them, economics is
> nothing.  They are willing to spend the time and money to get a
> bigger tomato than their neighbours.
>
> b) Market gardeners with high-priced vegetables.  They do need to
> 'see' the economics, but having very expensive land close to town,
> they would more receptive to considering the comparative costs of
> increasing yields through improving the soil quality with char versus
> the cost of buying more land.
>
> Gerrit

Good comment Gerrit - here is my own addendum

My question is at what point in escalating energy value would having
such a system an easy economic decision.

Tom

Yours is a system engineering look at such a unit but as a subsystem
of a future cast scenario the bookkeeping would be significantly
different. It would be nice to engage a architect on a green mission
or Swedish ecologist/planner Folke Gunther

http://www.holon.se/folke/kurs/logexp/logexp_en.shtml

for input on integrating biomass gasification, biochar as soil
conditioner, water purification, remote energy/process needs.
Actually I have had some conversations with Folke and put forth a 3
pager to local developers and A&E community for an opinion on the
idea of an energy sufficient community with food and manufacturing
capability and this reason why I hang out here and at gasification,
and biomass listserves.

Science fiction at the moment but my own survivalist scenario which
we have at 4CN major elements already in play.

Here is a pyrolyser system that would serve a small scale interest
such as mine. Our energy source is coppiced willow as a byproduct of
a yet hypothetical 30 acre continuous cropping system within 2 miles
of our present location. We are actually planning to bring this
aspect of our farm up to this scale in a few years. The willow cash
value would return operating cost and harvest labor and technology
would be simple, ie a rebuilt 50's era dual fuel tractor fitted with
charcoal/gasifier, perhaps. Which was my tractor 15 years ago while
creating this farm and is now waiting overhaul.

Labor costs in such a model community can easily be discounted
because this pool of labor would be essentially communal with live in
residents for our self sufficient farm. Much like a 300 acre farm I
have been studying for 3 years along Hwy 12 that is luckily for them
situated alongside a sewage treatment plant and is using treated,
nitrogen rich wastewater for irrigating crop for a captive (contract)
market of herbaceous ornamentals.

If and when we move to another energy paradigm then the captive
market in a urbanized place would be food and fiber production.

With carefully allotted hydroelectric power an we have here in the
PNW base power costs could be kept at reasonable levels but product
refigeration and pumping costs would be excessive. It seems then
there would be need for intermittent sources of power above base
load. Perhaps instead again intermittent and peak power for
processing in small scale manufacturing. Power generation of course
is another infrastructure investment but that tractor could serve
such a multipurpose role with pto utilized power.