[Terrapreta] Farm Produced Biochar

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Aug 17 18:16:33 EDT 2007

Jeff,

It looks like you're ready with your chipper and bale wagon to go into
production.

How many bales do you get in a basket? If the bales are 80-90 lb they're
probably about 8-10 lb/ft3. Charcoal is about 15 lb/ft3. For every five
bales (450 lb, 40 ft3) you get the equivalent of one bale (90 lb, 6 ft3) in
charcoal.

A 40 tpd charcoal process requires about 2.5 truckloads (15 t/truck) of
square bales or 80 round bales, 100 poplar stems at 800 lb each, or two
truckloads of chips at 2000 ft3/truck every day.

HNEI's Demonstration Flash Carbonization reactor will process about 10
tons/24 hours. I don't know what the batch size is. At 3 ft diameter by 9
feet tall it would have a volume of 63 ft3. At 60ft3 that's a batch of 900
lb dry wood (15 lb/ft3) or 480 lb straw (8 lb/ft3). A 1 hour cycle
(load-process-unload) at 40% yield would make 8,000 lbs charcoal from 20,000
lbs wood per day and about 4,00 lb charcoal from 10,000 lb straw.

Tom