[Terrapreta] charcoal research at 4CN

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sat Aug 25 18:48:21 EDT 2007

On Aug 25, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Sean K. Barry wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> This sounds like a thorough research effort and you are having
> fun.  I like the wide coverage, with spectrometry analysis of so
> many elements.  Is Swiss Chard known at all as a nitrogen fixer?

No, although VA mycorrhizial. I picked the chard because it was heavy
yielding and with 2 cuttings would be a draw on soil nutrition. It is
the Lonicera that I sent off for testing . It is one of our regular
crop plants and the info would be most useful to us. I had trouble
sampling the yield on the chard and put down   1 x 4 foot plots for
yield estimates taking my sample where the growth looked best in each
plot.. Not sure how good the results are because I was a bit
overwhelmed with the volume.

In addition, my soil analysis in this 500 foot  long set of test
plots showed quite variable nutrient levels from one end to the
other. It makes things much more complicated and my only chance to
get some results we can understand is to compare the soil nutrition
in each 17 foot plot from year to year.

It's all been very interesting and educational so far and I am eager
to continue.
> Will the Lonicera and native aster be tested similarly?

The foliar analysis tests cost $20 each so I combined the
replications into 8 samples. This is a first for us and we are mainly
interested to see if we can detect differences in the shrub leaves
that reflects our soil management practices.   ie compost, compost
plus fertilizer, etc. So far there have been no above ground
indications of benefits from the charcoal.

It might be too early to expect differences and I am presuming soil
analysis over the next 2 years will answer the question of charcoal
effects in our relatively nutrient  rich sandy loam soil.
> Is either of those a more woody shrub?

The Lonicera is a shrub and Aster a perennial. Both are wetland
plants that are indicators of nitrogen rich soil hence will demand
high nitrogen uptake from the soil with their rank growth. What
interests me is if the charcoal ammended soils wind up with more
nitrogen and or phosphorus than control or compost/fertilized plots
over the next 2 years.

Interesting to me  is that my first soil analysis taken some weeks
after setting up the experiment  showed higher organic matter when
charcoal was added than the  unemended soils. Is this because of
microbial activity or is it an artifact of the Umass testing lab
procedure? I have not posed this question to them yet.

> It might be interesting to cycle any of that biomass into charcoal,
> if possible.

As I said in my posting I am going to lift the plants in November
with our nursery bare root harvester. I will be able to examine the
roots, weigh the biomass and look at the charcoal chunks for root/
charcoal interaction. Would be nice to save some samples in fixative
for staining as we are getting our microscopes this winter.
> I read, probably in something you wrote or maybe from Tom Miles,
> that you have property with Willow (Salix).  Is this a large enough
> and dense enough planting, that it could be coppice managed?  I
> suppose you have considered making charcoal from that willow?

Oh yes, Willows are my favorite native plant. Here in PNW and at your
turf in Minnesota willows are  a well adapted  pioneer species that
enrich the soil and has wildlife and fisheries benefits when grown in
the riparian zone. Willows are a species that are both ecto and
endomycorrhizial hence they enrich their habitat. If you wait for the
leaves to drop before harvest then nutrients will be recycled.

I have been propagating 6 to 10 species of willow from seed for our
nursery markets and we currently have small coppiced groves of 4
species we harvest annually for live stakes. Growth rates are
phenomenal and I have made selections of scouler willow that are
superior. I have been waiting for us to expand our production to 30
acres at a nearby tract. Here for us wood for biomass fuel  and
charcoal would be a byproduct of our existing stake  market. It is a
alternative energy and  source of charcoal for soil additive that I
continue to study.