[Terrapreta] Day59 on a typical 90day corn seed.

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Aug 26 03:22:09 EDT 2007

Hi Robert,

"... use the sound unit on the field ..."  Are all of the plants in the field "hearing" the same sound and responding similarly?  Always positively?  Are there "silent" controls?  It might truly be curious, if the huge microbe population in the soil, from it having charcoal apartment buildings in it for them, now hear and respond to the sounds we send them?  It's altogether GAIA.

Just today, I saw Richard Haard saying he saw from soil test data, more organic matter in the charcoal amended soil, that he made in Washington State, at Four Corners Nursery (a wee jaunt for you in a plane trip to your northeast).  This is a repeated initial observation of one made similarly by Dr. Christoph Steiner of soil in Brazil, which he had amended with charcoal; it had a larger more active microbial population!

Additionally, Richard said he is having a mid-season harvest of plants (Swiss Chard) grown in charcoal amended soil being tested with an elemental spectrographic analysis, for a long list of elements (see the previous E-MAIL from Richard Haard).  He had just the soil tested earlier (as there were no plants yet).  I think it was with both a "proximate analysis" and a nutrient analysis.  He is repeating the soil testing in the out years, after only its initial amendment of charcoal and without adding any external fertility, to see how the charcoal amended soil "holds" the levels of the nutrients he has showing in the "baseline" tests at planting.  It could be useful, later maybe, to put the plant wastes or pyrolized biomass back onto the soil and see if it further increases the microbial population or nutrient "holding" capacity?

You might consider if its important to do this level of testing and re-measurement testing of the soil, at SAFFE too, in the out years.
I think it could be expensive, especially if the experiments are designed too large.  Perhaps in some certain, limited, but more focused ways, though, it could be beneficial to do some for your benefit and for our joint work?  I think trying to repeat the observations of past experimenters with Terra Preta is one of the more useful focuses now for doing this testing.  The Scientific method build theories this way.

I say this because the issue regarding increased nutrient "holding capacity in the out years issue is another of the documented Terra Preta experimentalist, Dr. Christoph Steiner's, observations; the charcoal amended soil does appear to "hold" nutrients better than un-amended soil (he saw this still after four years later).  The two of these; 1) high microbial activity and 2) the increased nutrient "holding" capacity may very well be tied together and a key part of the whole "Terra Preta" phenomenon.  This said, it does not to mention or explain the apparent incredible benefits for the plants growing in the charcoal amended soils.  It seems like it may be evidence for a systemic improvement, though.   We just don't know all the parts to it yet, but we do, I think, maybe know a couple, if we can see these two observed signs of changes in the soil characteristics, AGAIN, in soil on a different continent.

These two simple hypothesis; about 1) increased microbial population and 2) increased nutrient "holding" capacity being both beneficial to the plant and the soil organic systems are the root reasons for this type of testing and it gets at the root of answering these two questions.  It gives us a lab quantified measure for both, that can be made on any test subject soil and the gradient of the change is obvious.

There may be many more observable, extraneous, prolonged, or short lived changes and benefits that come from the Terra Preta soil as it matures and "grows".  But, if we can follow just a couple of measurements and see that the soil begins to exhibit what other soil with charcoal amendment begins to exhibit, then we will have something useful to do.  It would be like "Rinse and repeat", but a little more complicated and more times and places.  We may not know what or how it all works, but we might just be able to repeat it in any soil and wait to see?

If we can see and document any of these kinds of changes repeatedly in diverse soils, then we need only follow up with the plan for doing it globally.  We will have found a way that makes Terra Preta everywhere.  The Terra Preta we "grow" can do the rest of its work for itself (and our work for us), perhaps over time.

Richard wants to see if this happens in Washington State.  You can see if this happens in China.  With Christoph Steiner's experience, we may have a better theory on how Terra Preta is working, when we can reproduce the same similar effects on three separate continents.