[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com
Tue Aug 28 14:39:30 EDT 2007

Hello,

I've been reading, and re-reading this thread trying to understand it, and
I'm really confused.  Will one of you, or a couple of you participating
please write a quick summary of the argument for a more average reader?

Other things that confuse me about the argument:

Why would a commercial producer or charcoal use an open pit method?
Charcoal doesn't seem to be produced that way currently. Surely high volume
production of charcoal as a soil amendment isn't going to be radically
different from production for barbecues, or is that a faulty assumption on
my part?

So I guess I would like to know how we calculate the break-even point. If
terrapreta really works as well as it seems to in my extremely limited test
batches. How do we calculate the total cost of "local" charcoal production,
so that we can compare that to the cost of commercially produced
fertilizers, hauling, and transport costs (carbon emissions).  For example,
I live in Portland, Oregon and my choices at the garden center are charcoal
from Northern California and Miracle Gro "Organic".  Which one is a better
choice?

Erin Rasmussen

  _____