[Terrapreta] Sustained Biochar

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Aug 30 14:55:25 EDT 2007

Hi Jon, Adriana,

We are not operating from fear, when we say anthropogenic causes for global climate change are real and happening.  We are alerting this to the members of this discussion.  It is becoming an established theory, support by a vast consensus of scientists, both global climatologists and many other scientists from many other fields.  We are not on a fear-mongering ruse.

We suggest that this reality of "anthropogenically caused global climate change (including global warming from human emitted GHG)" is a serious consideration and should not be dismissed as a simple un-based fear.  It should be discussed over by scientists and engineers and dealt with, especially as a consideration when making massive amounts of charcoal
to build Terra Preta formations in soil.

I think the soil AND the atmosphere are tightly coupled together, even with the biology, to provide a "total climate" for the growth of living things.  Repairing degraded soils on Earthen landforms via TP formation and even making deserts bloom will not happen, if before this, the global climate change we see occurring now, changes everything and dashes our plans to do this, because we did not consider dealing with what was obvious at the time.  Realize that atmosphere and soil together ARE the climate.  Its not fear issuing this statement, it's a defensive, preventative, conservative, reduction-ist's strategy.  It's a scientific and engineering statement about or understanding of the problem we are ALL trying to help solve.

Nobody is getting jailed for emitting some methane-CH4 while making a little charcoal, either.

I've always considered this GHG problem like urea is to bacterium in a petri dish.  I have faith that the rest of us living others standing around in our petri dish called Earth are going to see our obvious "wastes" and "over-taxing of natural resources" for what they are.  When we all see this together, without fear, then we can clean up after ourselves, before we all die in our own filth, like stupid, little, "faithful", ignorant, bacteria in a petri dish

We could all have faith and be praying to "Sweet-be-Jesus" that we can do this "be alert" and "be prepared" thing.  The world needs more "lerts and preparations", don't you think?

I hope I've not scared anyone?