[Terrapreta] Assaying carbon levels in soil

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sat Dec 1 19:52:32 EST 2007

Tom thanks much for the interesting papers. Your reading list is very
nice There is some interesting insight in these papers.

It seems that infrared spectroscopy may be  the first place to look
for calculating background carbon.  Also from his paper 'The
nature,distribution and impact of charcoal in soils'  that charcoal
can be found in riverine plains, deltas and marine sediments. And
later in the abstract he stated that ' soils high in charcoal appear
to resist organic carbon decline'

  This makes me wonder how one goes about evaluating the results of an
experimental test without knowing background charcoal levels. Perhaps
experimental tests in synthetic medium. Our soils where I am testing
are sandy loams that were deposited in the post glacial period by an
ancient channel of the Frasier river that now drains the interior of BC.

Also the composition of the soil microflora can vary from place to
place. Last winter I read T. Deluca's and et al paper on wildfire
produced charcoal and nitrogen cycling in Ponderosa pine forests.
There an lab experiment with collected charcoal and soils from forest
and grassland showed that nitrification in the forest soil was
increased by charcoal additions but failed to influence nitrification
in grassland soils where that process already had high activity.

  In this  latest paper posted on your bibliography by Deluca  he was
able to show that charcoal required a nitrogen source in this
experiment glycine to reduce phenolic compounds ( growth inhibitors)
and that wild collected charcoal had properties not found in
laboratory charcoal produced at 350 deg C. Soil amended with wild
collected charcoal in concentrations from 0.5% to 10 % stimulated the
growth of a grass found in the forest understory, Koeleria macrantha,
that has  enhanced growth after wildfires.

  So the presence or absence of background charcoal, the evolution of
the soil microbial community and the nature of the charcoal itself in
combination with nitrogenous substrate all have role in soil dynamics.

Pretty  nifty winter afternoon reading.