[Terrapreta] Tree planting -- a bit more

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Dec 4 01:20:32 EST 2007

Dear Loulou gold wrote:
> Again you are only partially correct.
>
> At a certain point forests WILL emit more CO2 than they capture in NEW
> growth.
EXACTLY! This occurs when forests become overmature.
> BUT this completely ignores the amount of carbon STORED.
The "carbon" in the ground is not permanently sequestered. Only in the
form of "black carbon", produced by anaerobic decomposition, or by
charring, is the carbon permanently sequestered. (Permanent = "long
time", not forever)

> If you cut a 500 year old so-called "over-mature forest" it will take
> 500 years to recapture the amount of carbon that was stored in them.
>
> BTW, "over-mature" is not an ecological concept but an economic one.
> From an ecological stand point there is no such thing as an
> "over-mature" or "decadent" forest.
Oh, yes there is!! :-) There is no tree that lives forever. Therefore
trees die. As they start to die, there comes a point where they are
rotting and giving up more CO2 than they are taking from the atmosphere.
This is "ecological overmarturity." Then they progress to "snags", and
"deadfalls", and then they liberate all the CO2 they once stored.

> There are only stages of development and a host of biological services
> associated with each stage. Profitable economic activity fits into a
> narrow band that is favored by industrial forestry and they invent
> lots of pejorative labels for aspects and processes not seen as
> "productive."
You are introducing strawmen and red herrings. We are not talking about
economic harvests... we are talking about carbon sequestering. But why
don't we get back to talking about Terra Preta, and its contribution to
carbon sequestering?

Best wishes,

Kevin