[Terrapreta] C02 Tree Capture - or miscanthus...

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Dec 5 21:21:54 EST 2007

Hi Gerrit,

I think Miscanthus giganteus could be made into charcoal.  It has a very high biomass yield per acre.  It is a perennial grass.  If it is dried and chopped, I do not see why it could not be carbonized using a pyrolysis reaction.  I think it might make a very fine char.  Fine, in the sense that it is small particulate size.  I wonder if the ash content of the charcoal might be higher than chars made from other biomass (for instance oak, which has very low ash content)?