[Terrapreta] torrefaction vs. carbonization

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 8 17:20:23 EST 2007

Nick,

I had to look up what torrefaction was:

"Torrefaction is mild pre-treatment of any biomass (including bamboo)
at a temperature between
200 and 250° C. During torrefaction the properties of bamboo undergo
changes, wherein the end
product has much better fuel quality compared to biomass for
combustion application. The
decomposition reactions during this process results in bamboo
becoming completely dry and
loose its tenacious structure, also the hygroscopic nature of the
biomass is changed to
hydrophobic material. Besides this, the process increases the
calorific value of the end product.
The actual weight loss in this period would be about 20 to 25 %
whereas 90 % of the energy of
the parent dry material is preserved in the torrefied matter. The
combustion process of this matter
has less problematic volatiles and hence the process is closer to
that of charcoal. It can therefore
be used as an alternate to charcoal in many applications. It also
makes the material immune to
attack by fungi. Hence long term storage without degradation is
possible."

Based on 15 minutes of research, it doesn't look promising.  It would
seem that this super-drying of wood makes it hydrophobic...and if it
stays that dry in the soil, it would be difficult for nutrients to
move through a soil solution into it.  Moreover, it doesn't sound
like it is conducive for a 'fungal' bridge between itself as a
microhabit for microrganisms with the soil;  in char mixed with
composting material, the char actually becomes a microhabit for
fungus...
However, this is only speculation.

How closely have you examined the torrefied wood you have found in
the soil?  Does it 'house' microrganisms?  Has it absorbed soil
nutrients?  Or is it merely an inert material taking up space?

gerrit