[Terrapreta] torrefaction vs. carbonization

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 8 17:53:49 EST 2007

Some more info on torrefaction, herein called "thermo treating."

"At Kennebec Lumber we offer green and kiln-dried products in Hard
Maple, which accounts for over 50 percent of our total volume,
Northern Red Maple, Northern Red Oak, Ash, Thermo Treated Maple, and
Thermo Treated Birch. color sorting is available in all species, and
we specialize in custom grades and colors for the cabinet industry.
We are very pleased to introduce the use of a new European production
process called Thermo Treating. We begin with regular kiln-dried
lumber and place it into a specially built "torrification" kiln. The
kiln is then rendered devoid of oxygen and super-heated to more than
400 degrees, at which time a special torrification process takes
place. This process removes all naturally occurring resins, sugars
and oxygens while collapsing the cells. This accomplishes two things:
First, it gives the lumber a deep, rich brown color suitable as a
replacement for Walnut, Mahogany and other exotics at a much more
competitive price. Second, and more importantly, it alters the wood
to make it extremely stable, moisture resistant and decay resistant.
These attributes are very appealing to window, exterior door and
cabinet manufacturers, boat builders, and makers of hardwood floors
designed to be installed over radiant heat and concrete subfloors."

On 8-Dec-07, at 5:47 PM, Gerald Van Koeverden wrote:

> [...]
>
> Gerrit
>

> On 8-Dec-07, at 5:20 PM, Gerald Van Koeverden wrote:
>
>> Nick,
>>
>> I had to look up what torrefaction was:
>>
>> "Torrefaction is mild pre-treatment of any biomass (including
>> bamboo) at a temperature between
>> 200 and 250° C. During torrefaction the properties of bamboo
>> undergo changes, wherein the end
>> product has much better fuel quality compared to biomass for
>> combustion application. The
>> decomposition reactions during this process results in bamboo
>> becoming completely dry and
>> loose its tenacious structure, also the hygroscopic nature of the
>> biomass is changed to
>> hydrophobic material. Besides this, the process increases the
>> calorific value of the end product.
>> The actual weight loss in this period would be about 20 to 25 %
>> whereas 90 % of the energy of
>> the parent dry material is preserved in the torrefied matter. The
>> combustion process of this matter
>> has less problematic volatiles and hence the process is closer to
>> that of charcoal. It can therefore
>> be used as an alternate to charcoal in many applications. It also
>> makes the material immune to
>> attack by fungi. Hence long term storage without degradation is
>> possible."
>>
>> Based on 15 minutes of research, it doesn't look promising.  It
>> would seem that this super-drying of wood makes it
>> hydrophobic...and if it stays that dry in the soil, it would be
>> difficult for nutrients to move through a soil solution into it.
>> Moreover, it doesn't sound like it is conducive for a 'fungal'
>> bridge between itself as a microhabit for microrganisms with the
>> soil;  in char mixed with composting material, the char actually
>> becomes a microhabit for fungus...
>> However, this is only speculation.
>>
>> How closely have you examined the torrefied wood you have found in
>> the soil?  Does it 'house' microrganisms?  Has it absorbed soil
>> nutrients?  Or is it merely an inert material taking up space?
>>
>> gerrit
>>

>> On 8-Dec-07, at 2:21 PM, Nikolaus Foidl wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all!
>>>
>>> My charcoal costs at a charring efficiency of 42 % is around 35 US
>>> $ per ton
>>> Charcoal. Now after analyzing 15 year old soil where huge amounts
>>> of forest
>>> where simply burned and charred. Now excavating I find huge
>>> amounts of only
>>> torrefied wood pieces which as well did not degrade, like the
>>> charcoal
>>> chunks.
>>> Now looking at this and if torrefied wood would do the same as is
>>> charcoal,
>>> why not save a huge amount of additional CO2 and just torrefy the
>>> stuff and
>>> mill it and then burry it? Cost per ton would drop to half, CO2
>>> taken out of
>>> the atmosphere rise by 50 to 70 %.
>>> Just an idea but maybe worth to be discussed.

>>> terrapreta_bioenergylists.org
>>> http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org