[Terrapreta] Charcoal costs

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Dec 9 23:25:15 CST 2007

On Dec 9, 2007, at 8:34 PM, Kevin Chisholm wrote:
> Dear Richard
>
> Richard Haard wrote:
>> S,K,J,N and Tom
>>
>> Jim and I have been discussing CEC and soil nutrition and charcoal
>> for a few rounds offline and the apparent anomaly of my data not
>> showing a boost in CEC with charcoal addition.
> Could it be that with low temperature char, still containing
> volatiles and/or products of incomplete charring, the future CEC
> sites are presently blocked, but that with some combination of
> microbial action and weathering over several years, the tars and
> volatiles still on the char will be decomposed or removed to yield
> an "active" char?

It is going to be interesting to follow this in these plots

>> Rereading Steiner etal tonight I have concluded my  first year data
>> is consistent with first year results obtained by Steiner in Brazil.
>> It seems that charcoal addition to soil does not make terra preta
>> and that terra preta itself is the product of a long term
>> biological, chemical and physical process. The process we used to
>> make our charcoal 2 was identical to the local production method
>> where Steiner obtained his charcoal.
>> Jim or anyone do you have a citation that supports your statement
>> in an earlier posting
>>
>> Jim Joyner wrote:
>>> The CEC increases with compost and charcoal (in Brazil)  . . .
>>> well, of course it does.
> I don't have any specific references to support this on its own, but
> washed char tests by Cheng Lehmann and Thies
> http://www.georgiaitp.org/carbon/PDF%20Files/Posters/ChengPoster.pdf
> shows that char will increase the CEC.
thanks

> They used char which was much smaller than the lump and stick
> charcoal you used. Two differences between your protocol and theirs
> were washing and finer size.

Yes since the CEC test is so easy to have done I have been thinking to
try washing some of my stockpile. My Charcoal 1 is a fine powder from
John F

> This is a big reach, but is it possible that there was sampling
> bias? Specifically, is it possible that when taking samples, the
> large lumps of char were removed inadvertently in the field, or
> perhaps by screening at the Lab?

I assume there is sampling error. But did the best I can by taking 12
cores from each of my 28 - 17 foot plots. We used gloves and screened
the samples after drying.
> Note also that your units for CEC seem to be cmole/kg while Cheng et
> al use mmole/kg. How does one convert between teh different units.?

Steiner et al used cmole/kg , my samples i neglected to look at the
report sheet - sorry / mine are MEQ/100g. Same as Jims

Good question . no idea at all how to convert between the 3. The data
sets are relative anyway.

Any chemists out there?

> How did you measure crop yields? Did you see much difference between
> the various plots?

I am working on my report now. This discussion is helping. No above
ground differences in Swiss Chard yields or appearance or with Aster
subspicatus. With the Lonicera involucrata - a native shrub there were
differences both above ground and with roots after the lifter-shaker
removed them from the ground.

It was very difficult to physically measure this however. I now
appreciate the work that agricultural researchers accomplish. The best
I could do is to stand back and look.

<