[Terrapreta] Charcoal costs

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Dec 10 09:38:05 CST 2007

Thanks Kevin - Good discussion. I'm only starting to digest this data
and your questions help me get focused.
On Dec 10, 2007, at 5:52 AM, Kevin Chisholm wrote:
> Dear Richard
>
> Richard Haard wrote:
>>

>> On Dec 9, 2007, at 8:34 PM, Kevin Chisholm wrote:
>>> Dear Richard

>>> Could it be that with low temperature char, still containing
>>> volatiles and/or products of incomplete charring, the future CEC
>>> sites are presently blocked, but that with some combination of
>>> microbial action and weathering over several years, the tars and
>>> volatiles still on the char will be decomposed or removed to yield
>>> an "active" char?
>>
>> It is going to be interesting to follow this in these plots.
> Yes indeed. Reports from elsewhere allude to a "time effect".
>
> ...del...
>

>>> They used char which was much smaller than the lump and stick
>>> charcoal you used. Two differences between your protocol and
>>> theirs were washing and finer size.
>>
>> Yes since the CEC test is so easy to have done I have been thinking
>> to try washing some of my stockpile.
> What about the possibility of trying methanol and perchlorethylene
> as solvents, in addition to a water leach?

>> My Charcoal 1 is a fine powder from John F
> Oh. I missed that.
>> This is a big reach, but is it possible that there was sampling
>> bias? Specifically, is it possible that when taking samples, the
>> large lumps of char were removed inadvertently in the field, or
>> perhaps by screening at the Lab?
>>>
>> I assume there is sampling error. But did the best I can by taking
>> 12 cores from each of my 28 - 17 foot plots. We used gloves and
>> screened the samples after drying.
> Your data for the Charcoal 1 and Charcoal 2 tests is as follows:
>
> ......................OM..........CEC
> 1: Charcoal 1   4.9            12.25
> 2: Charcoal 1   5.75         10.4
> 3: Charcoal 2   4.7            13.05
> 4: Charcoal 2   5.2            11.35
> 5: Control        4.6            10.9
> 6: Control         4.2            9.85
>
> I am guessing that the "background organic matter" in the control
> soil used for Charcoal 1 (Fine) and Charcoal 2(Lump/Stick) tests was
> basically constant.
> I am also guessing that Tests 1 and 3 were "Low Charcoal Additions"
> and Tests 2 and 4 were "High Charcoal Additions", based on the
> higher reported OM contents. If these guesses are correct, then the
> CEC results are counterintuitive... Low Char additions give high CEC
> and High Char additions give low CEC. The consistent anomaly
> suggests that sampling error was not a concern.

Charcoal treatment dose for each plot is equal.
  Did you average before planting and before harvest lots to get those
numbers? I think it is best to look at them individually as is
relative to growth and cation uptake during the season. In the post
below I was comparing Steiners after first harvest and my after first
harvest.
Averaging the nitrate for example will be be meaningless as end of
season was 0 across the board. It might be of interest to look at both
beginning of season and end of season data at the end of next seasons
crop.
The paired treatments are replicates, two sets at either end of a 500
foot seed bed.
If you look at the image posted of the treatment sets you will see the
plants at the north end fared better. If you want to look at the data
sets I will send the complete nutrient report offline.

> Scatter in analyses seems to be about 1 CEC unit, or +/- .5 units
> around the true value. In tests 1 and 3, with presumably the same
> weight of Char additions, the coarse char gives a larger CEC, within
> scatter limits, but Tests 2 and 4 give a lower CEC, within scatter
> limits. Char size effects may have been eliminated in teh Lab...
> possibly they pulverized all samples for consistency within their
> analytical procedure.

No pieces larger than a fiberglas window screen were submitted.
Perhaps though this biased the charcoal content of the sample towards
the charcoal 1 although charcoal 2 was crushed and had plenty of fines
in addition to big pieces. I viewed the dose in both as excessive but
do regret not sizing the Charcoal 2 better. Although I was interested
to be able to watch root and fungus interaction with the charcoal
pieces as Larry had done in his tests.
>>> Note also that your units for CEC seem to be cmole/kg while Cheng
>>> et al use mmole/kg. How does one convert between teh different
>>> units.?
>>
>> Steiner et al used cmole/kg , my samples i neglected to look at the
>> report sheet - sorry / mine are MEQ/100g. Same as Jims
>>
>> Good question . no idea at all how to convert between the 3. The
>> data sets are relative anyway.
>>
>> Any chemists out there?
> It would be very helpful if we had conversion factors so that work
> reported by different Researchers using different units could be
> compared.
>

>>> How did you measure crop yields? Did you see much difference
>>> between the various plots?
>>
>> I am working on my report now. This discussion is helping. No above
>> ground differences in Swiss Chard yields or appearance or with
>> Aster subspicatus. With the Lonicera involucrata - a native shrub
>> there were differences both above ground and with roots after the
>> lifter-shaker removed them from the ground.
>>
>> It was very difficult to physically measure this however. I now
>> appreciate the work that agricultural researchers accomplish. The
>> best I could do is to stand back and look.
> If you, as a "good Grower", couldn't see a difference, then there
> was probably no significant difference.

No - I could see a difference but getting an actual measurement is a
challenge. As I will explain in detail I changed my project mid-
planning from container to a field test and had a limited supply of
plants. Some were damaged by cultivation and deer others were crowded
by the adjacent Aster. What I wound up doing was picking the best of
each set after they had been lifted and documented with images. The
plants were all so nice I did not want to destroy so they went to
customers.

> QUESTION: Is it possible that your "control soil" was "adequately
> good" and that the char additions did not remove any "limits to
> growth?"

Correct - Beyond the charcoal tests of this project I am studying our
soil management practices and learning much about soil testing and
understanding test values. If the charcoal additions have value in
management of soil nutrition then a pattern might emerge in following
years as I will be not using additional fertilizer or compost and
removing all biomass produced including roots. This is a depletion
regime that is just initiated.
> Would you consider the CEC of the "Control soil" as "below minimum
> requirements for normal growth", "adequate for normal growth", or
> "above the level required for normal growth?"

Adequate with a early summer nitrogen supplement as is our practice.

As Ogawa postulates with depletion of organic matter proceeds in this
test the saprophytes will be excluded and the inorganic carbon habitat
of charcoal will enhance the propagation of autotrophic and symbiotic
microorganisms: (ie) free living nitrogen fixing bacteria, Frankia and
some mycorrhizial fungi < from his UGA presentation>.  Other
differences in soil respiration and microbial diversity are worthy of
literature study.

The way I see things in this experiment and the results of Steiners
work is this is an enrichment culture. If terra preta is the result of
a process then this first seasons work is the starting point.